ietf-nntp HDR parameter proposal

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 03:34:24 PST 2003

In <ylwuiymrxv.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

>> New Proposal for parameter to HDR extension.

>> I have raised this previously, and Russ even stated he could live with
>> it.

>I can live with it in the sense that I don't think it will break anything
>badly, but I don't think it's a good idea.

>You're including a potentially very long list of headers in LIST
>EXTENSIONS to handle a case that's not particularly desirable in the first
>place and that the client can easily recognize via other means.
>Implementing this adds a fair amount of complexity, and it also adds
>complexity to the specification to handle things like ALL and OVERVIEW.
>(What if there's an All: or Overview: header that you want to put into
>your limited HDR database?)

I can accept your opinion that you do not like my proposal, but I object
most strongly when you reject it on the grounds that it contains feature
X, when in fact it does not contain feature X at all.

Read what I proposed. The only things that can be returned by LIST
EXTENSIONS are
    HDR
    HDR ALL
    HDR OVERVIEW
where is the "potentially very long list of headers in LIST EXTENSIONS" in
that?

>It also requires keeping LIST OVERVIEW.FMT, which I think is a bad idea.
>I'll post about LIST OVERVIEW.FMT in a separate message.

Hmm. I still like LIST OVERVIEW.FMT ...

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.