ietf-nntp MODE READER

Juergen Helbing infstar at infostar.de
Wed Mar 19 01:46:51 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:33:15 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>> In <3e71e5fb.2062094 at 145.253.176.102> infstar at infostar.de (Juergen Helbing) writes:
>>
>> >I am using STAT in combination with POST to verify if an article is
>> >already available upstream before sending it for posting feeds (ihave
>> >not permitted for).
>
>Be careful, because some servers rewrite the Message-ID upon posting, in
>which case you'd have duplicate articles floating around.

I'm aware of this case - but this seems to be one of the "old myths".
It might be possible that some news-server-soft permits to discard an
included msg-id and to replace it with an own one - but it seems that
this "feature" is no longer used anywhere.
At least none of the "major NSPs" is ignoring msgids in posts. :-)

I'm not up-to-date with the latest draft for NNTP - but I'm strongly
convinced that nowadays when X-Trace is used everywhere to identify
posts properly the 'elaboration' of MsgIds should be finally
forbidden.  But this is of course my subjective point of view.

--
Juergen