ietf-nntp TLS response codes

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Mar 18 08:40:32 PST 2003

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Yeah, but does the server return an error message?  I think we're trying
> to figure out if there's a reason to have the server send a 580 error
> message *after* the TLS negotiation if something failed, or if that's all
> handled at the TLS level and already covered by the existing language.

I don't know what SHOULD be done, but here's what I know:

- Cyrus returns an error in its IMAP, POP3, LMTP (and NNTP)
implementations if TLS can't be setup of the negotiation fails.

- INN returns 580 in both cases.

- UW-IMAP appears to return errors in both cases.

- Sendmail appears to return a temp failure if TLS can't be setup and
closes the connection of negotiated fails.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127