ietf-nntp Title of AUTHINFO USER/SASL spec

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Mar 18 07:14:42 PST 2003

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" wrote:

> Now that the AUTHINFO stuff is separated from TLS, I have to figure out

Actually, why were they separated?  Since we know that they are both
tightly coupled (USER/PASS can't exist without TLS), why not just have a
single "NNTP Authentication and Security" document?

> what to call it.  In the References of the TLS draft, I tentatively said
> "Using SASL with NNTP" -- but it hits me now that that document includes
> AUTHINFO USER/PASS as well as AUTHINFO SASL.
>
> So perhaps the best thing is "Authentication in NNTP" or something like
> that...but yet it seems like -- since SASL is really the endpoint we're
> aiming for -- perhaps SASL should be featured prominently in the title.
>
> Thoughts?

Authentication is authentication.  I don't see the need to have SASL in
the title.  I'm fine with "NNTP Authentication" or "NNTP Extension for
Authentication", which is what SMTP does in RFC 2554.  The POP3 AUTH
extension (RFC 1734) doesn't mention SASL in its title even though this
command uses SASL exclusively.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127