ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-00

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Mar 17 12:59:16 PST 2003

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > give people some examples of the various things that can happen.
>
> Yikes, I hadn't realized there was no Examples section.  I wonder how
> that slipped by...
>
> Do the examples need to include the TLS negotiation itself?  If so, can
> someone with the appropriate tools (Ken, perhaps) generate them?

Here is an example from Cyrus and its test client using the same form in
RFC 2595.  Notice that this shows how plaintext mechs aren't
enabled/allowed unless protected by TLS and it also shows the presence
of EXTERNAL when the client presents a valid cert.

C: LIST EXTENSIONS
S: 202 Extensions supported:
S: AUTHINFO
S: SASL CRAM-MD5 NTLM DIGEST-MD5
S: HDR
S: LISTGROUP
S: OVER
S: STARTTLS
S: .
C: STARTTLS
S: 382 Begin TLS negotiation now
<TLS negotiation, further commands are under TLS layer>
C: LIST EXTENSIONS
S: 202 Extensions supported:
S: AUTHINFO USER
S: SASL CRAM-MD5 NTLM DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN EXTERNAL
S: HDR
S: LISTGROUP
S: OVER
S: .

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127