ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-00

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 16 23:16:23 PST 2003

Okay, I've now read this draft thoroughly and reviewed the discussion.
I'm sorry about the delay in responding to this thread.

I'll break out the open issues into additional messages.  Here's my
summary of the conclusions that I think we've reached, which I agree on:

 * The welcome banner is no longer being reissued.

 * The MULTIDOMAIN extension is being removed, along with its tag in
   LIST EXTENSIONS output, in favor of just referring people to the TLS
   standard that specifies that behavior and that will be published before
   this document will be.

Also:

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> -section 4:  You should state that TLS negotiation begins immediately
> after the CRLF at the end of the 382 response from the server.  You also
> might want to mention that if the client is pipelining commands (per the
> description in base-17), that the STARTTLS command MUST be the last
> command in a group.

I think the best, if possible, would be to include the STARTTLS command
description in the same format as is now used in the NNTP draft, possibly
with additional sections.  But at the least, with a syntax section and an
examples section in the same format as the base NNTP document.

That will make sure that we list all the response codes in one place, put
the pipelining information in the same place as it is in the NNTP
documentation, and give people some examples of the various things that
can happen.