ietf-nntp Draft 17 pre-2

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Mar 3 01:57:41 PST 2003

Russ Allbery said:
>>> I think we should bypass this entire debate and just not standardize
>>> LIST OVERVIEW.FMT at all.

I've about reached the same conclusion, but you're in charge here. Shall
I remove it from draft 18?

>> [Which reminds me, could we do something like require all future
>> extensions to use 6xx for multiline responses? Or is that too far?]
> I'm not sure that really buys anything, given the number of multiline

It would at least make it a closed problem. At present, the client code
that handles responses has to have a table of codes that are multiline, and
even then has one case where that doesn't tell it whether the response will
be multi-line response or not. This doesn't make for modular code.

I suppose I'm just looking to stop the problem getting any worse in the
future.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937