ietf-nntp Draft 17 pre-2

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Mar 2 12:41:52 PST 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Charles Lindsey wrote:

> But will someone please tell me why the overview database should ever
> change during the course of a single NNTP session? Does this actually
> happen, and is there some benefit in it?

It's not so much that the change actually takes place during some client's
session, but rather that the overview may have recorded different
information for articles that arrived in the past than it is doing at
present.

For example, suppose the admin decides to add a header to overview.  He
most likely will not be able to afford the downtime to rebuild the entire
overview database (which would be necessary to examine all the articles
presently on spool for this header), so new articles will have overview
information that matches overview.fmt, but old articles will not.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org