ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Joao Prado Maia jpm at papercut.org
Sun Mar 2 09:29:53 PST 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Ade Lovett wrote:

> So, let me see if I got this straight.  You want to go through the whole
> pain of virtual hosts a la HTTP, purely because of one hugely broken client
> that doesn't respect the full form of the news: URI?

Well, regardless as how I ended up looking for this kind of functionality
from the protocol, the use case is quite obvious - there are people that
want to run several NNTP servers by binding them to the same IP
address and port number. Sami Koskinen gave another good example of when
something like this would be appropriate.

Cheers,
Joao