ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 1 21:12:43 PST 2003

Joao Prado Maia <jpm at papercut.org> writes:

> I would prefer it to be part of the base protocol, but it seems like
> most people here are against that. It could work both ways, but having
> it in the document would help.

The difficulty there is partly procedural, in that it's out of scope right
now.  We have a very limited working group scope aimed at documenting
existing practice and standardizing a small number of widely implemented
extensions that nearly everyone already implements.  We're also discussing
authentication, which is technically out of scope, but it's sort of a
special situation since the IETF is very concerned with not introducing
new protocols without strong authentication support.

Since this is something brand new, it's not really eligible for the
current base document.  If it's published as an extension, though, it
could certainly be eligible for a future revision.