ietf-nntp MODE STREAM

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 6 22:59:21 PDT 2003

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> I'm not clear on what the desired behavior of a compliant client should
> be.  Check LIST EXTENSIONS first, and fall back to MODE STREAM?  Just
> try CHECK and hope it works?

A compliant client needs to (SHOULD) always send MODE STREAM first.
Otherwise they will fail to interoperate with all existing servers.

Eventually, they may be able to just check LIST EXTENSIONS, but it's going
to be years, and we would do client authors a significant disservice if we
implied otherwise.

But we *can* say that servers can start not requiring MODE STREAM.