ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-00

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 4 09:53:44 PDT 2003

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> Are existing implementations so rigid that they can't handle anything
> other than:

> NNN <message-id>\r\n

*Probably* not (innfeed and innxmit look like they would be okay as long
as the message ID is the first parameter of the response).

> True.  Couldn't we just state that the message-id MUST immediately the
> follow response code and that freeform text MAY follow the
> message-id. Since a message-id has a well known syntax, is should be
> easy for a client to find the end of it.

You just look for whitespace, yeah.

> The only reason that I bring this up, is that it is sometimes useful to
> have a textual reason for a failure be part of the response.

I think someone would need to do some research to see if existing
implementations can handle it first, but I don't object if that work is
done.