ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-00

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Jun 4 09:28:23 PDT 2003

Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Ken Murchison wrote:
>

>>Why the restriction on no freeform text in the responses?  This isn't in
>>RFC 2980, and also differs from IHAVE.
>

> Well:
>
> - I'm mostly trying to document current practice.

Are existing implementations so rigid that they can't handle anything
other than:

NNN <message-id>\r\n

> - The responses have to contain the Message-ID, so what appears after
>   the code matters.

True.  Couldn't we just state that the message-id MUST immediately the
follow response code and that freeform text MAY follow the message-id.
Since a message-id has a well known syntax, is should be easy for a
client to find the end of it.

The only reason that I bring this up, is that it is sometimes useful to
have
a textual reason for a failure be part of the response.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127