ietf-nntp Alternative HDR parameter proposal

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jul 31 04:54:24 PDT 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>   A server MUST NOT try to list header and metadata items when it
>>advertises
>>   the HDR ALL capability.  In this case, a 503 response MUST be
>>returned.
>

> The problem here is that while the possible headers are unlimited, and you
> have to look in the articles, the metadata available *has* to be defined by
> the server.
> Therefore I suggest that there be a different response code (216?) for the
> ALL case, which lists only those metadata items supported by the server;
> it would be required to include :lines and :bytes.

Hmm.  If it is necessary to enumerate the metadata regardless of which
headers are supported, perhaps we ditch the ALL capability keyword.  We
can either use a different LIST HEADERS response code in the ALL case
(as you suggest above), or a special keyword in the 215 response, eg:

C> LIST HEADERS
S> 215 headers follow:
S> *                   <= means all headers
S> :lines
S> :bytes
S> .

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127