ietf-nntp Alternative HDR parameter proposal

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 31 04:37:47 PDT 2003

Ken Murchison said:
> Here is some text for my alternate HDR proposal.  I _believe_ sections
> 10.6.1 are fine as-is.

I finally got round to trying to integrate this, and ran into some
problems.

>    The LIST HEADERS command returns a list of headers and metadata items
>    that may be retrieved by the HDR command for a newly-received article
>    (the headers and metadata items available for articles may change
> over
>    time).

Fine.

>    A server MUST NOT try to list header and metadata items when it
> advertises
>    the HDR ALL capability.  In this case, a 503 response MUST be
> returned.

The problem here is that while the possible headers are unlimited, and you
have to look in the articles, the metadata available *has* to be defined by
the server.
Therefore I suggest that there be a different response code (216?) for the
ALL case, which lists only those metadata items supported by the server;
it would be required to include :lines and :bytes.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646