ietf-nntp Re: Folding

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jul 29 03:58:05 PDT 2003

Combining Russ's and Charles's responses, here's what I propose doing.
Scream now or forever hold your peace.

> (1) Can a header line be folded between the colon and the first space?
> (3) Can a header line be folded twice between two non-white space
>     characters, so that a post-folding line contains only white space?

Either side of the protocol MUST accept these from the other. They SHOULD
NOT be sent, but a process receiving an article of this form from elsewhere
is not required by this document to re-fold.

Add notes in the compatibility section.

> (2) Can an unfolded header line end with white space?
> (4) Can folding occur after a white space character, so that a post-folding
>     line ends with white space?

These are both allowed.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646