ietf-nntp One final OVER issue

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Jul 8 13:27:09 PDT 2003

Russ Allbery wrote:

> In recent discussion on news.software.nntp, the question of using OVER on
> message IDs came up again.  We had that discussion internal to the group
> some time back and decided to not support OVER on message IDs in the draft
> because no one would think of what someone would use it for.
>
> The excellent example raised in news.software.nntp was using OVER in
> conjunction with NEWNEWS.  (And various people expressed a strong interest
> in adding this.)
>
> This is rather late to add this back in, but it's an extremely simple
> change to the draft.  What do people think?

Just re-reading the list traffic and noticed that you didn't receive any

FWIW, I'd have no problem implementing this in Cyrus (about 3 lines of
code).  If its useful to clients, I'd say put it in the spec.  It also
keeps all of the fetching commands consistent.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127