ietf-nntp LIST NEWSGROUPS

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Jul 5 19:38:36 PDT 2003

I'm about to implement LIST NEWSGROUPS (per draft -18) in the Cyrus
server, and the text in section 7.6.5 seems confusing/ambiguous.

The last sentence in the first paragraph seems to hint that an empty
response means that there are no groups available on the server.
However, the second paragraph seems to clearly state that a client can
infer nothing about the presense or absence of a newsgroup in the 215
response with regards to its availability on the server.

I would like to think that an empty response means that there are no
descriptions for the requested newsgroups.

My question is this:

If only a portion of the newsgroups requested by the client have
descriptions, do I still have to return a line for every newsgroup
(using dummy descriptions for those without real ones), or can I just
return a line for those that do?

In other words, does there have to be a one-to-one correspondence
between newsgroups in the active "file" and the newsgroups "file"?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127