ietf-nntp Multiple AUTHINFOs per session

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 5 17:40:23 PST 2003

>>>>> "Jeffrey" == Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

 Jeffrey> Ken has raised the issue of whether a client should be able
 Jeffrey> to AUTHINFO multiple times in the same session.  Some
 Jeffrey> observations:

 Jeffrey> - If an AUTHINFO fails, the client should be able to retry
 Jeffrey> (unless the server has chosen to close the connection).
 Jeffrey> Agreed?

The usual case on failed authentication is to send the 502 response and
close the connection.

There seems to be no obvious reason to allow clients to retry a failed
authentication.

 Jeffrey> - INN at least permits clients to use AUTHINFO USER/PASS
 Jeffrey> multiple times.  Do other servers do the same?

in many cases it's awkward to actually change the credentials
associated with the session. I know that some servers will accept and
ignore subsequent AUTHINFO commands once the user is authorised (either
by IP or by previous AUTHINFO command).

 Jeffrey> (Of course, I suspect few if any clients actually attempt
 Jeffrey> this functionality.  Anyone know about that?)

I've not heard of any client legitimately trying to do this.

The usual (almost universal) assumption is that authentication is for
a whole session, that it's done once either by the client at session
startup or in response to the first 480 error.

--
Andrew.