ietf-nntp Multiple AUTHINFOs per session

Howard Swinehart howard at redrose.net
Sun Jan 5 13:19:19 PST 2003

From: "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org>
> - INN at least permits clients to use AUTHINFO USER/PASS multiple times.
>   Do other servers do the same?  (Of course, I suspect few if any clients
>   actually attempt this functionality.  Anyone know about that?)

Binary Boy (http://www.binaryboy.com/) has an option to retry the password,
although I don't know how many people use this feature.  Some servers return
an authentication error when the client opens too many connections, such as
when a user opens both an auto downloader and a newsreader at the same time.
This allows the client to wait out any temporary problems without repeatedly
opening and closing new connections.