ietf-nntp Multiple AUTHINFOs per session

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Jan 5 12:38:10 PST 2003

Ken has raised the issue of whether a client should be able to AUTHINFO
multiple times in the same session.  Some observations:

- If an AUTHINFO fails, the client should be able to retry (unless the
  server has chosen to close the connection).  Agreed?

- INN at least permits clients to use AUTHINFO USER/PASS multiple times.
  Do other servers do the same?  (Of course, I suspect few if any clients
  actually attempt this functionality.  Anyone know about that?)

- For the purposes of AUTHINFO SASL, this issue is explicitly raised in
  RFC 2222 (excerpted below).  I don't think we've ever discussed this
  issue -- let me know if we have -- but certainly the easiest approach
  is to disallow it.

5.3.  Multiple authentications

   Unless otherwise stated by the protocol's profile, only one
   successful SASL negotiation may occur in a protocol session.  In this
   case, once an authentication protocol exchange has successfully
   completed, further attempts to initiate an authentication protocol
   exchange fail.

   In the case that a profile explicitly permits multiple successful
   SASL negotiations to occur, then in no case may multiple security
   layers be simultaneously in effect.  If a security layer is in effect
   and a subsequent SASL negotiation selects no security layer, the
   original security layer remains in effect.  If a security layer is in
   effect and a subsequent SASL negotiation selects a second security
   layer, then the second security layer replaces the first.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org