ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Feb 27 15:54:05 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

> Is this going to be part of the base protocol, or can it just be an
> extension? Making it an extension means that it can be specified
> separately and doesn't hold up the main document.

Though of course it can't make it past draft stage without the base spec
being done.

> Will you expect all clients to always use HOST? If so, that's extra load
> on the connection which 99% of users won't need.

So is MODE READER.

(But seriously, round trip or no, I really don't think the "load" is
enough to worry about, compared to everything else that happens in the
average NNTP session.)

> How much will any of the above constrain implementers unnecessarily?

Not much, I think.  And I'm not expecting this will be too hard to work
out in detail.  I don't know if it's necessary, but if it is I'm really
not so concerned.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org