ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 26 14:38:28 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Ken Murchison wrote:

> > Right, but again, AUTHINFO is used in authentication. Like it or not, I
> > will have to tell my users to change their little Outlook Express settings
> > and put 'anonymous at domain.com' in the username field.
>
> And how would you have them configure their existing clients if you have
> a HOST extension?  ;)

I'm presuming that Joao would prefer that it works like http, where you
send the desired hostname of the server with the initial request, and the
user has to enter nothing except the name of the server.

But, you could just as easily define an extention where you SHOULD always
authenticate (as anonymous at hostname, if nothing else) and then you have
something that is equivalent to the proposed HOST extention.

Of course, using AUTHINFO is also backwards compatible (that is, old
clients can still set a username and make use of the feature, before new
versions that support the automatic use of command are released).

So, that's an advantage to this method instead of defining a new command.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski | Andrew Systems Group * Research Systems Programmer
PGP:0x5CE32FCC | Cyert Hall 207 * rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu * 412.268.7456