ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Sami Koskinen tossu at cc.hut.fi
Wed Feb 26 13:11:50 PST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:08:52PM -0500, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Joao Prado Maia wrote:
>> HOST domain.com
> And how is this any different from using:
> AUTHINFO USER user at domain.com

	From what I understand, "AUTHINFO USER username" is
	for authenticating a user, thus giving the information
	*who* requests service. "HOST nntp.foobar.com" would
	specify the virtual host *to whom* the service
	request is presented.

	Honestly, I don't see much change to the present
	with the AUTHINFO USER approach of virtual servers.
	They would end up being sortakinda virtual servers,
	not real virtual servers. Real virtual servers
	would still be created by binding the virtual server
	to an IP address of its own and the system might end
	up having hundreds of IP addresses just because of
	the virtual servers.

--sami