ietf-nntp Draft 17 pre-2

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Feb 25 09:24:44 PST 2003

Ken Murchison said:
> 10.5.2.2:  Is the alternate format for backwards compatibility with
> existing OVER implementations or XOVER implementations?

Yes.

[Well, probably XOVER because I don't think anyone implements OVER yet.]

> If the latter,
> why not just use the fact that a "new" client should/will issue LIST
> EXTENSIONS before issuing LIST OVERVIEW.FMT, in which case we use the
> preferred format.  Otherwise, we use the alternate format.

I'm very unhappy with the idea that LIST EXTENSIONS causes any kind of
state change in the server. It's a kludge.

"It is not required that the client issues this command before
attempting to make use of any extension."

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937