ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Feb 25 07:51:49 PST 2003

Joao Prado Maia said:
>> Why not just have users login with a fully qualified userid (eg,
>> user at domain.com)?  This is what is typically done for IMAP and POP3.
>
> Because I don't need this feature for authentication purposes. I basically
> just want to serve different content for each separate "virtual host".
>
> What it basically comes down to is that I have a server with just one IP
> address available to me, and I have several domains hosted in this server
> that I would like to serve newsgroups from.

Either use two different ports, or publish USER/PASS pairs for each server.
That is, "if you want server 2, specify user '2', password '2'; otherwise
you will get server 1".

Anything else will require adding new features to clients.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937