ietf-nntp Draft 17 pre-2

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Feb 25 07:34:16 PST 2003

Ken Murchison said:
> - section 3.1.1:  Unless I'm just thick, this section seems to give
> conflicting info on what response code should be given for unimplemented
> optional features/extensions.  The second paragraph states 501 and the
> fifth states 503.  The optional LIST features in sections 8.6.x seem to
> indicate 503.

The idea is that an implementation can either:
* say it doesn't recognise the LIST DISTRIBUTIONS (to pick an example)
  command, in which case it returns 501; or
* say it knows what you want but doesn't have the information, in which
  case it returns 503.
I know that there's little difference from the client's point of view.

I point out elsewhere that 503 is rather a dog's dinner. This is another
example. Does anyone really use 503 in this way?

> - section 9.1.1:  The QUIT response is listed as 250 instead of 205.

Coo, that's been wrong since draft 14.

The good news is that, once we've settled what the response codes all are,
the editing technology I'm using makes it trivial to pull them all out and
audit them.

Thanks.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138