ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Joao Prado Maia jpm at papercut.org
Tue Feb 25 07:29:48 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Ken Murchison wrote:

> Why not just have users login with a fully qualified userid (eg,
> user at domain.com)?  This is what is typically done for IMAP and POP3.

Because I don't need this feature for authentication purposes. I basically
just want to serve different content for each separate "virtual host".

What it basically comes down to is that I have a server with just one IP
address available to me, and I have several domains hosted in this server
that I would like to serve newsgroups from.

I understand that most usenet servers don't really need something like
this, because they are pretty big and host several thousand newsgroups and
articles. However, on my case I have two distinct usenet servers to run
with relatively small number of newsgroups and articles.

With this 'virtual host' thing, I could bind my server on one IP address
and port 119 and have it serve two different domains.

Cheers,
Joao