ietf-nntp TLS cipher renegotation to NULL cipher

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Feb 12 16:13:52 PST 2003

Andrew Gierth wrote:

> As I've repeatedly stated, there is no direct comparison (for me)
> between the ongoing encryption cost and much of the cost of startup
> (or all of the cost of a SASL mechanism like the one Chris Newman
> proposed), because the latter can be farmed out to separate machines
> and kept away from the high-bandwidth data paths. Session encryption
> (or compression for that matter) on the other hand, increases the
> overhead right where I can least afford it.

OK, point taken.  So is it fair to say that even if it were technically
possible to process encrypted/compressed data at the required
bandwidths, that it is far more desirable to reserve any/all available
resource bandwidth for processing just raw data?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127