ietf-nntp TLS cipher renegotation to NULL cipher

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 12 12:58:47 PST 2003

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> Didn't Stan start working on the base draft at least 5 years ago?  That
> seems like an awful long time for an update to an existing protocol.  I
> doubt that Stan was _that_ slow in making updates.  In fact, I attended
> the nntpext IETF meeting in Pittsburgh (2 1/2 years ago) and I got the
> impression that Stan worked his butt off on this thing.

My impression over the years that I've been on this list is that the work
was extremely bursty.  There would be a huge amount of activity, and then
things would go dead-quiet for three or six months, and then there would
be another huge burst of activity.

There were a lot of little nits that were discussed at some length.  The
wire protocol has diverged from RFC 977 quite a bit and it took some time
to dig out all the details of what people were doing.

We also went down at least one dead-end with PAT, and spent a bunch of
time hemming and hawing about wildmats, since there are a few different
approaches to wildmats and some servers support a richer syntax than
others.