ietf-nntp Question about AUTHINFO

Joao Prado Maia jpm at papercut.org
Fri Feb 7 11:42:45 PST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I assume you mean AUTHINFO USER Joao Prado.

Correct, forgot to put the whole thing in there when posting.

> > Should 'Joao Prado' be kept as the username for this session ? I guess
> > it makes sense to do this, but I wasn't sure if other news servers would
> > handle this situation in the same way.
>
> It's unclear.  INN currently uses a username of "Joao", which is really
> the wrong thing to do (it should either be an error or the server should
> use the full thing as the username, I think).
>
> This problem is more common with passwords.

Right, but what should be the proper way, then ? And more than that,
should we put this in the actual RFC/new draft so it gets properly
documented ?

Personally I don't see a problem in allowing a space on the USER part of
the AUTHINFO process, since it is the last token of characters in it. But
anyway, this was something an user brough up with me saying that a few of
his clients couldn't connect because of the space in their usernames.

Cheers,
Joao