[ietf-nntp] :bytes metadata

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Dec 30 12:25:35 PST 2003

Russ Allbery wrote:

  > I think Andrew is arguing for us making the following two statements:
>

>>* :bytes MUST be greater than the canonical size minus 999.
>>* :bytes MUST be less than the wire size plus 999.

Forgive my ignorance, but where does the magic value 999 come from?

Do we really need this abstract bracketing of the value?  What's wrong
with stating that :bytes is an estimate which MUST NOT be less than the
canonical size?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127