[ietf-nntp] OVER message-id

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Dec 18 18:58:39 PST 2003

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> I suggested that as being the correct fix for a proposed class of
> clients that used multiple OVER <id> commands in order to filter
> NEWNEWS results to decide what to download. Note that _no such clients
> currently exist_, because XOVER <id> (and even XHDR <id>) is not
> commonly supported; clients that use NEWNEWS and which to pre-filter
> articles currently do so using HEAD <id> commands.

> The current evidence here is that clients do not need HDR (anything) <id>,
> because we've had it disabled for the past five years and nobody's ever
> commented on it.

If that's the case, then remove it from the spec.  But if we do, we
should go back to the newsgroups and make it clear that it was removed,
since there doesn't seem to be a lot of client author participation on
this list (which unfortunate).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127