[ietf-nntp] :bytes metadata

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Dec 18 18:27:42 PST 2003

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> That's a substantial implementation overhead - an implementation that
> stores articles in wire format never has any need to compute or store
> the "canonical" size of the article.
>
> There are three possible sizes of an article: the size as stored
> locally, the canonical size, and the wire-format size. There are two
> common cases:

Again, this decison should be made by what the client needs/expects, not
server design.  If the client only needs a "not to exceed" approximation
of the message size, then using the either canonical size or wire format
size is fine and we document it as such.  If the client expects the
*exact* canonical size, then we have a problem.  My guess is that an
approximation is good enough.

> IMAP clusters don't normally have to handle multi-gigabit loads.

Regardless of the load, most, if not all, mail clusters that I'm aware
of only have one copy of each message, so the problem of differing
message sizes/contents never occurs.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127