[ietf-nntp] OVER message-id

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Dec 18 08:11:17 PST 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> At some point we put "OVER message-id" back into the protocol.
>
> Andrew from Supernews is objecting to this, saying that it's impractical
> in "every major server design".

Just out of curiosity, if its impractical in "every major server
design", shouldn't more than one person be voicing displeasure?  I'm
sure Russ would've shot this down earlier if INN would have issues with it.

I think the client authors should determine whether OVER msgid is useful
and let that be the determining factor (I can't answer that question,
and don't care either way).  If a server can fetch an entire article by
msgid, is it that far of a reach to get the overview data?

> He suggests, instead, an extension to NEWNEWS that would return overview
> fields along with the message-ids.

How does this help?  This is overkill if I only want the overview for a
single article.

> For the same technical reasons, he suggests that:
>
>     HDR Xref <message-id>
>     HDR :lines <message-id>
>
> may be problematical.

Same as above, client authors should determine if its useful.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127