[ietf-nntp] POST and IHAVE response codes

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 30 11:44:31 PST 2003

Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:

> If transmission of an article fails on an IHAVE command, I see that
> there are two possible responses in the event of failure:

> 436  Transfer failed; try again later
> 437  Transfer rejected; do not retry

Right.

> However, if the same article were to be submitted using POST, then there
> is only one possible response:

> 441  Posting failed

Right.

> That seems to me to be a Bad Thing.

This is the RFC 977 behavior and there is no deviation from that behavior
in practice, which combined means that changing it is, in my opinion, out
of scope for this working group.

It's something to revisit if we ever have the opportunity to introduce a
new POST command (as part of an effort to handle binary articles, for
example).