[ietf-nntp] OVER message-id

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Dec 30 06:35:31 PST 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>Rather than clutter the OVER and HDR capabilities, I'd suggest just
>>returning a 503 response.
>

> 501, surely? It's an unimplemented piece of syntax rather than "this value
> works and that doesn't".

I disagree.  OVER <msgid> is documented as valid syntax in the draft,
and in the absence of a capability advertising that OVER <msgid> is
unsupported, I think a 501 response would be misleading.

I think this is a case where "the server recognises the command but does
not provide an optional feature (for example because it does not store
the required information)", hence 503 is more appropriate.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127