[ietf-nntp] OVER message-id

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Dec 23 07:30:05 PST 2003

Ken Murchison said:
> So, are you saying that if I report Xref: in OVER that the Xref header
> MUST be present in HEAD and ARTICLE?  In which case, I MUST account for
> its presence in :bytes and :lines.

I can't see how else to read 8.5.1.2:

    For all subsequent fields that contain headers, the content MUST be
    the entire header line other than the trailing CRLF.
[...]
    If there is no such header in the article, or no such metadata item,
    or no header or item stored in the database for that article, the
    corresponding field MUST be empty.

The whole *point* of metadata was that it's not in a header.

You don't need to account for it in :lines, since that's the body line
count. Just :bytes.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646