[ietf-nntp] Decreasing low water mark

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Dec 23 07:07:36 PST 2003

Russ Allbery said:
>>     Except when the group is empty and all three numbers are zero, whenever
>>     a subsequent GROUP command for the same newsgroup is issued, either by
>>     the same client or a different client, the reported low water mark in
>>     the response MUST be no less than that in any previous response for
>>     that newsgroup sent to any client.
>
> [...]
>
>> Russ's suggestion was to change the MUST to a SHOULD. I feel that we
>> need to say something about the times this is broken, but I can't
>> offhand think what.
>
> I'm not sure either.  In practice, it's not going to matter very much,
> since the other hosts in the cluster are about to expire the same articles
> anyway.

Would you be happy with:

    [...]
    the reported low water mark in the response MUST be no less than that
    in any previous response for that newsgroup in this session, and
    SHOULD be no less than that in any previous response for that newsgroup
    ever sent to any client.

possibly followed by:

    Any failure to meet the latter condition should be transient only.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646