[ietf-nntp] :bytes metadata

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Dec 22 04:47:16 PST 2003

Charles Lindsey wrote:

> In <3FE30A49.6070906 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>Agreed.  But if we're just going to state that its a <= approximation,
>>we probably don't need to get into the storage format.  If what we're
>>saying is true, then the client shouldn't/won't care whether its stored
>>in wire format, canonical format, base64 encoded or AES encrypted, as
>>long as its gets a reasonable estimate of the canonical size.
>

> I think you would get a rather poor estimate using base64, but I don't
> think our protocol gives that option (or not in a manner visible to the
> user).

I was just using that to illustrate a point, I wouldn't imagine that the
article would be stored in any form other canonical or wire format.

FWIW, I think that the server should be required to report the :bytes of
the resulting canonical form.  But it sounds like some servers are
either reluctant or incapable of doing so, so I proposed that the server
can return an estimate of the size as long as its >= the size of the
canonical form (provided that clients don't care if the :bytes is
completely accurate).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127