[ietf-nntp] OVER message-id

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Mon Dec 22 04:12:39 PST 2003

In <3FE33D73.8020904 at proxad.net> Francois Petillon <fantec at proxad.net> writes:

>Charles Lindsey wrote:
>> But surely once you have the article, you have the Xref,

>No, you don't. You only have it if the article is numbered before
>being stored on a spooler (with diablo, you may number articles on
>a header feed which is much more light than having to fullfeed a
>single server) with a single numbering system (you may have an
>agreement with another company to use [each other|their] spoolers).

Ah! So you are saying that Company A stores the full articles, and
Companies B, C and D just store a database of articles in each group,
including the overview, and using their own numbering system. So when a
client of Company B, say, retrieves an article it gets the body from
Company A, and constructs an Xref header consistent with its own
numberings on the fly.

But in that case, how did it manage to construct its overview database, or
did it have to retrieve the headers of all articles (but not their
bodies) from A?

I can see that in such a system B, C and D do not need to keep history
files (though how do they then know when articles have expired from A, or
been cancelled)? In which case I can see the argument for not doing OVER
by message-id.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.