[ietf-nntp] :bytes metadata

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Dec 22 02:24:35 PST 2003

Russ Allbery said:
>>> (A) Say that the value applies to the current session and note that, while
>>>     it SHOULD be constant across sessions, there are cases when it isn't.

> I agree with Ken.  I think that's the simplest fix,

Agreed. Added:

    If the server has access to several non-identical copies of an article,
    the value returned MUST be correct for any copy of that article
    retrieved during the same session.

I've put this text in 8.4, not 8.4.1, because it applies to all metadata.

> The important thing here is to warn that clients cannot rely on the bytes
> count for more than an estimate, which I seem to recall that we already
> do.

Um, no:

    The :bytes metadata item for an article is a decimal integer. It MUST
    equal the number of octets in the entire article - headers, body, and
    separating empty line - except that each CRLF pair MAY (but SHOULD NOT)
    be counted as a single octet.

See that "MUST"?

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646