[ietf-nntp] Re: ietf-nntp Niggles

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Dec 16 02:34:53 PST 2003

Charles Lindsey said:
> >>       <abcd at example.com>
> >>       <"abcd"@example.com>
> >>       <"ab\cd"@example.com>
> >>
> >>    as being identical. Therefore an NNTP implementation handing email
> >>    articles must ensure that only one of these three appears in the
> >>    protocol and the other two are converted to it as and when necessary,
> >>    such as when a client checks the results of a NEWNEWS command against
> >>    an internal database of message-ids.

> The current Usefor draft says:
>
>    Msg-ids are redefined to be a "normalized" subset of those defined by
>    [RFC 2822], ensuring that no string of characters is quoted unless
>    strictly necessary (it must contain at least one mqspecial) and no
>    single character is prefixed by a "\" in the form of a quoted-pair
>    unless strictly necessary, and moreover there is no possibility for
>    ">" or WSP to occur inside a msg-id, whether quoted or not.

[..]

Okay, I've added to the end of that paragraph:

    Note that RFC 1036 never treats two different strings as being
    identical. Its draft successor restricts the syntax of message-ids so
    that, whenever RFC 2822 would treat two strings as equivalent, only
    one of them is valid.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646