[ietf-nntp] Re: ietf-nntp Niggles

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 16:28:51 PST 2003

In <87sml0ssh4.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:

>>    o  A message-id MUST NOT contain octets other than printable US-ASCII
>>       characters.

>Printable characters are defined elsewhere in the draft, I believe.  We've
>discussed this point before.

OK, I found the definition.

>>    If the requested header is not present in the article or if it is
>>    present but empty, a line for that article is included in the output

>> That is not my understanding of the case when the requested header is
>> absent from the article, and it is not consistent with what is said on
>> the previous page:

>We had a long conversation about this and I believe the above is correct.

Hmmm! WHat does XHDR do? In RFC 2980 I find:

   Some implementations will return "(none)" followed by a period on a
   line by itself if no headers match in any of the articles searched.
   Others return the 221 response code followed by a period on a line by
   itself.

And what Stan Barber's reference implementation does is

XHDR References 2735-
221 References fields follow
2735 <200310282052.h9SKqRn00642 at clerew.man.ac.uk>
2736 <200310282052.h9SKqRn00642 at clerew.man.ac.uk> <87d6cgsm3t.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>