ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-base-19

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Aug 5 09:49:23 PDT 2003

I had some time to sift through the latest draft while in the air:

3.2.1:  The discussion of response codes for optional commands/variants
is confusing/contradictory.  In paragraph 2, it says that 500 MUST be
returned.  Paragraph 3 says that 501 MUST be returned.  The end of
paragraph 4 says that 500, 501 or 503 MAY be returned.  Which is it?

5.2.2:  This says that MODE READER should be used before using any
extensions advertised by LIST EXTENSIONS.  Well, some of those
extensions may not be reader-type commands, eg. CHECK/TAKETHIS.  I'd
suggest that the text be changed to say "or any reader-only commands
advertised via LIST EXTENSIONS".  I'd also suggest that section 8
require that an extension discuss its behavior w.r.t MODE READER --
whether it SHOULD be sent by the client before using the given extension
command(s).

8.6.1.1:  Just for consistency, the usage section should probably be
changed to use the same format as ARTICLE/HEAD/BODY/STAT/OVER, eg. only
two forms:

   HDR message-id
   HDR [range]

8.6.2.1:  Is LIST HEADERS optional or required?  I don't care either way
(especially if the server advertises HDR ALL), but since LIST
OVERVIEW.FMT is optional, I had to ask.

8.6.2.3:  The last example uses the :article-number metadata type.
Since this isn't documented anywhere, this should either be removed or
changed to :x-article-number.

9.1:  LIST HEADERS is missing from the grammar and over-command should
be changed to "OVER" [range-ref] since it now accepts a message-id as an
argument.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127