ietf-nntp Informal extensions

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Apr 21 03:45:34 PDT 2003

Reading the LIST OVERVIEW.FMT thread has made me realize a problem.

We currently have:

   A server MUST NOT provide any extension, whether or not listed in the
   output from LIST EXTENSIONS, unless it is either a registered
   extension or a private extension.

[LIST EXTENSIONS isn't required if only private extensions are provided,
but if it is implemented then the server MUST list all supported
extensions.]

   A server MAY provide additional keywords - either for new commands or
   new variants of existing commands - as part of a private extension.
   These new keywords MUST begin with "X".

What this says is that, if LIST OVERVIEW.FMT is no longer documented, then
it MUST NOT be provided (since it doesn't begin with X). Similarly, MODE
SLAVE (or any other such feature) MUST NOT be provided.

While this fits in with a clean protocol design, is it what we want?

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646