ietf-nntp Summary/analysis of LIST OVERVIEW.FMT responses

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Apr 18 13:04:19 PDT 2003

Based on the fact that of the clients that actually used OVERVIEW.FMT,
they only used it to test for XOVER and/or check for the presence of
Xref, I propose that LIST OVERVIEW.FMT should be dropped from the new
base spec and that OVER should be standardized to return the following
fixed set of items:

      article number
      "Subject" header
      "From" header
      "Date" header
      "Message-ID" header
      "References" header
      :bytes metadata item
      :lines metadata item
      "Xref" header		(just the contents, NOT :full)

Since we now have a fixed set of items, and the presence of OVER is
discovered via LIST EXTENSIONS, we no longer need OVERVIEW.FMT.

We can also refer implementors to RFC 2980 for documentation on legacy
commands.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127