ietf-nntp Response code issues

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Apr 13 18:07:58 PDT 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
>
> > Other possibilities:
> > * Merge AUTH and TLS into the base specification, so that they are special
> > cases that are allowed generic responses.

Too many problems with this to consider, I think.

> > * Provide some mechanism for a server to say "I return the following
> > codes for 'you're in the wrong state and need to invoke this
> > extension'".

This is a curious idea that I passed over last week without giving it fair
consideration.  Some sort of extensible response code mechanism just could
work.  I can imagine a couple different ways to implement this, none that
seems perfect offhand, and a lot of work for a less-than-overwhelming
benefit, but possible.

> Personally, I'm leaning towards just documenting 480 as a generic response
> code for insufficient authentication or transport security, with a second
> choice of documenting 480 and 483 as generic response codes, and
> everything else seems less good.

I don't suppose we have any consensus on this, such that I can move
forward with a new version of the TLS draft...

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org