ietf-nntp <0> and message IDs

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 8 11:30:30 PDT 2003

Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

> Sure, if you invent a NEWPOST command, then its specification says that
> it can 'invent' message-ids. My point is that the default state should
> be that commands *don't* invent message-ids except where it is
> explicitly stated that they should, and POST is the only one lihe that
> in out present draft.

What other commands in the draft could?  There are only two that accept
articles and IHAVE requires a message ID in the initial command.

It sounds like you're trying to write in advice for future implementors of
new extensions, which strikes me as way outside the scope of this
document.  Furthermore, it's painfully obvious advice at that; anyone who
is inventing new NNTP commands is going to figure that out quite quickly.