ietf-nntp <0> and message IDs

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sun Apr 6 11:45:18 PDT 2003

Russ Allbery said:
>> In POST:

> I don't have strong objections to this, but it might be worthwhile to try
> to make it mildly more generic.

We do already call out the "Message-ID" header specially. I've now done
this:

   The client SHOULD NOT assume that the article has been successfully
   transferred unless it receives an affirmative response from the
   server. If the session is interrupted before the response is
   received, it is possible that an affirmative response was sent but
   has been lost. Therefore, in any subsequent session, the client
   SHOULD either check whether the article was successfully posted
   before resending or, if the client supplied a message-id in the
   original article, ensure it supplies the same message-id - the latter
   approach is preferred since the article might not have been made
   available for reading yet (for example, it may have to go through a
   moderation process). In particular, if the article contained a header
   with name "Message-ID", the client SHOULD ensure that the contents of
   this header are identical when resending it and the server SHOULD
   ensure that the re-sent article is recognised as a duplicate and not
   assigned a different message-id to the original.

which I think reflects the actual situation more closely.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646